Wednesday, December 17, 2008

In the swing of things...

Looks like we are back into the normal day to day activities at the Hairston household. Everyone has gone back to work, we are cooking dinner again (hee hee), and trying to be 'normal.' I know for me at least, I can absorb myself in what I am doing at work and kind of forget our past several months temporarily. Don't get me wrong. I don't really want to fully forget, just not to hurt all the time. As I mentioned before, God has truly given us an overwhelming sense of peace through these times. I would say 75% of the time I can talk about Autumn and what happened without attaching all the emotions to the conversation. I have had several people that I am not around often ask how the baby is or if I know the sex of the baby yet and I have been able to handle it. Part of it is because I have pepped myself up for these situations and I think God has helped me see that these people already feel bad enough by asking without me falling into a heap on the floor. I do have to say, you have to love working with kids. I am not being sarcastic when I say that. Today I had one of the kiddo's I work with said, "My mom won't let me talk about the baby." Ha, such innocence.

For me, talking to John Michael, praying, and journaling have been extremely healing. That way I am still able to think/talk about Autumn without driving people crazy all the time. It is amazing how often I think about her or the pregnancy. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find enough time to write all that I want to in the journal. It is as though I am afraid I will forget about Autumn or all the special details of these days. There have been many things that have warmed my heart. Most of the time, people who do or say them probably don't even realize they have made such a huge impact on me. Of course, I probably cry to half of the songs on the radio right now too. ha!

Well, I don't know why I felt like I should write all of this, but I guess I felt like I needed to add an update. We are doing pretty good, really. Just every once in a while something will hit me when I'm not even expecting it. I can not wait to go home for Christmas, though. It just makes me happy to think about it. Only a couple more days! We will be with John Michael's family the first half of the holidays and then my family the second half. I pray that it will be a relaxing and joy filled time with loved ones. I also pray that Lance can sense the excitement of Christmas. I can not wait until he can comprehend what we are celebrating!...the birth of our Lord and Savior!

For now I am going to call it a night. Lance was up most of the night last night. You know what that means...I may have slept three hours. Goodnight!

4 comments:

Cindy Watson said...

Thank you for sharing Karen. I would love to hear about your sweet daughter anytime! You are doing great. I thank God for how He is helping you through each day. One day at a time...right? It is easy to say and hard to do. You are a living example of that though. You (and John Michael) are a tremendous witness to me. I love you guys!

Cindy Watson said...

Thank you for sharing Karen. I would love to hear about your sweet daughter anytime! You are doing great. I thank God for how He is helping you through each day. One day at a time...right? It is easy to say and hard to do. You are a living example of that though. You (and John Michael) are a tremendous witness to me. I love you guys!

Breanna said...

Thanks for the update Karen. You and John Michael are living proof that you really can take things a day at a time. I can't wait to see you guys at Christmas!

Anonymous said...

I just love you guys!

Carmen