Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Presentation Day 2

Draftstoycha (My spelling of hello in Russian) :O)

Today is our third full day in Ukraine. It started with our demonstrations in the orphanage from 9-12. We were able to demonstrate therapy techniques on several different kids about 30-40 min. a piece. It went pretty well. They appeared to really like it and took numerous notes. The swing does wonders for the kids here. We are going to have to get more swings. Ideally we would have one for each room (11). They need them so bad because the kids are seeking movement and vestibular input.

At 11:30, Kate and I snuck out to see a little girl who had come to visit us before. She lives at home and her grandmother works at the orphanage. Mom and grandmother came too. The last time I saw this little girl the mother had brought x-rays. It was the time I was the only PT here so I got pictures of the x-rays and had Kym's husband take them to a doctor in the US. The doctor said it looked most like bone cancer. Of course that is not what we wanted to hear, but it was kind of what I expected. Then today they had a new x-ray, it looked much worse. My heart completely broke when I saw it and knew at some point I was going to have to tell the family what I had been told. I asked numerous questions and it seems as though the doctor just told her there was nothing wrong and eventually the child would have to have a leg lengthening. Argh! When they asked what treatment a doctor would do in the states I had to tell them. I made sure to say that I am not a specialist and that the doctor only had the x-ray to look at so they would need to have a specialist look at her and do some tests before we could say she truly had cancer. But that there is a good chance that that was what was happening. We talked about possibilities, ideas, and I just tried not to cry the whole time. I have never had to tell anyone a person they love as much as life itself most likely has cancer that has gone untreated for years. So, my mission today is to find a good specialist for them to go to and find out more. Hopefully there is someone good in Ukraine. I am scared for them and my heart hurts so bad. She is a beautiful 4 year old that walks, runs, plays, talks everything as she should. Please pray for her recovery and the family to be supported during these times. Even if it comes down to her having her leg removed to save the rest of her body that is about as bad a death here. Society does not accept people with special needs very well. I just want to take her home and get the care there.

Well, after that we went to the orphanage for 3-7 year olds in this town. It was very surprising! The place was very organized, clean, and warm. The caregivers had pictures of the kids up everywhere and showed how they wanted all the kids to feel as though they were in a family. They even had photo albums of the kids for them and lots of group picts as they play. They had dress-up stations, play stations, tons of art work that the kids had made on the walls. We were extremely impressed. The had buckets for the kids' tears, bags for them to yell into when they were angry, stuffed animals for them to talk to when they can't say something nice. It was great. We discovered that we most likely will not go back there because they do not need our help near as much as other orphanages. That was some good news after the morning, although, I have to say my heart wasn't all there.

We went to eat lunch around 3 at the 'Milky Way'. That is the American nickname for some reason. It is an authentic Ukrainian resteraunt. We had a nice lunch and will be skipping dinner tonight. Tomorrow we get to go to the Children's hopsital. The director came to visit us quickly yesterday. She was very nice. We were told that it is the regional hospital for children and that there would be tons of things for us to do. That we would not run out of work. The director was so excited that we were coming and I can not wait to help the children there. Please just pray for my heart to be protected and strong in Christ. I love these children and can not always help as much as I would like. I am glad that I have a great team to work with, though. Kate is my roommate just because we have one room of 3 and one room of 2 and we just happen to end up together. But we have had some great talks at night and her spirit is truly amazing. I do not want to imply in any way that others would not be, I just have enjoyed her company this week. Also the car alarms and sounds outside in the middle of the night are always a fun topic of conversation. This morning it helped/made me get up for a longer quiet time. I don't think that was a coincidence. :o)

I love you all and hope you are having a good day!
Love,
Karen

6 comments:

Amy said...

thanks for writing and sharing! i told carmen I am hanging on every word. what wonderful hearts you all have!

Anonymous said...

Keep it coming.

Mooneys

Amber said...

So proud of you all...please keep us updated! Love you all, Amber

Unknown said...

My heart is breaking for that little girl. You did a good thing by being honest with them, although was so difficult to share the sad information. My thoughts and prayers are with you all.

Anonymous said...

Oh Karen, I'm so sorry. You don't know how badly I want to say or do something that would make everything better. Just know that we love you and we're praying for you (all of you.)

Love you,
Chrystal

Anonymous said...

Karen,

Thank you for sharing so completely with all of us. It helps both to share the joys and carry the burdens. I know that God has tear bottles too and that many have been collected.

It is so exciting to see the progress that has been made because
you and others were willing to share your hearts and expertise. I am continuing to hold all of you and your families, the precious chlldren, and those that come in contact with the children in prayer.