Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Hairston haps is back...finally















The above pictures are from February-June of this last year




Well, it only took me 11 months to update our blog. Eeek, sorry. I am glad to be back. For some of you there are big updates that you have not heard about. Now, where to start...




I would say that this last 5 months has been pretty eventful in our home. Lance had surgery in August to correct his eyes. They look fabulous! He no longer wears glasses and he seems to see better. ...I just realized that some of you didn't know he even had glasses for a period. I posted older picts above...That same month he started preschool which he absolutely loves. His teacher is great with him and he is able to be around other children five days a week. That same week, John Michael started working at a fish hatchery as a Game and Fish Technician for the state. He has really enjoyed working again, being outdoors, and learning new things. It is fun for me to hear about all the different fish and wildlife out at the hatchery as well. I can tell that it has sparked a side of John Michael that was missing when he stayed at home with Lance. Don't get me wrong, he loved being at home with Lance and is a fabulous dad, but he missed working in his field.

Lance after his eye surgery before they cleared up. Look how straight they are though!

Lance had another surgery in September to correct for undescended testes. The surgery went well and he came out of it like a trooper. Our son is one tough cookie! Luckily no more surgeries expected for a while. He may have to have another revision of his eyes down the road, but time will tell.


The other big news in the Hairston household is that I am pregnant! Yep, we are expecting at baby around April 9th making me 19 weeks pregnant. Although this baby was not expected, we are thrilled. I have to admit this pregnancy has been kind of strange so far, but we are making it. During the first trimester we had some scares with several bleeds, but were able to get that under control. Then at 15 weeks I broke out with shingles. Yes, shingles! Can you believe it?! I am pretty much over that now. However, Monday I had a level II ultrasound to make sure the shingles had not affected the baby and left with greater concerns. Currently there are several concerns, but the greatest is that the amniotic fluid surrounding the baby is extremely low. So, guess how I am able to take time to update this blog? hee hee! You got it, I am on bed rest and drinking fluids like crazy!


Honestly, I was very worried and emotional Monday following the ultrasound. Since then I have calmed down and realized that my heavenly Daddy knows me, this baby, and all that is going on. I don't want to use the cliche of "Everything happens for a reason." Although I do believe that, but more like everything is going to be okay. No matter what the outcome, everything is going to be okay. I truly believe that the amniotic fluid could be restored and this baby end up being the healthiest baby alive. I also know that isn't always the plan for every baby. Either way, this child is deeply loved by our family.


I have been blessed with an amazing husband, family, and friends. I honestly can not put into words how much love and respect I have for my husband. He has been such a rock and man of integrity. I will stop before I get out of control. ha! God has just shown so many blessings through the trials.

So, are you wanting to see pictures of our wild little Lance?

Obviously before the surgery, but Lance is one outdoor guy. Here he has just enjoyed his first ice cream cone on his own. He was pretty proud. We have been saying "ice cream" (in Lance language) almost every day since. Ha!



Our latest pictures of our ringtail lemur from Halloween.

4 comments:

Angie Cleary said...

Hey Karen!
I've been checking up now and then to see if there is a new post. Yeah! Lance is really growing! I knew you were pregnant, hadnt heard all you have been through though. Your a strong woman and have so much faith, I know everything will be ok. I will be praying for you! Man, I had shingles once when I was like 16, those are terrible!!! I'm so sorry. You take care of yourself! I miss ya! Will be checkin up on you so keep us posted! Love, Angie

Angie Cleary said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Elliott's said...

Karen,
You and your family are in my prayers. Glad Lance is doing so well after his surgery!! He has grown so much. Take care.

Zack, Jenn and William said...

So glad to see you blogging again. I remember reading your adventures in Ukraine while we were awaiting our adoption journey, and now we've been home for a year with our son! Anyway, glad to hear that Lance is doing so well. Your pregnancy and health will be in my prayers.

Jennifer