Saturday, April 28, 2007

Excursion day

Okay, we have switched to posting in the mornings because the computer lab is not crowded and the computer work much quicker. But that also means our brains are not quite awake yet. For example, we forgot to get our quote of the day before coming here. Oops! Maybe you can help us out Susan. hee hee!

Yesterday we had a great day. As planned we visited Lance in the morning for an hour. We had fun, but really nothing new to talk about. He is still pretty shy if anyone else is around or he is tired. We then took off to visit a Monestary near here with Chris, JM, me and our friend and former driver Vova. It was about a 30 min drive each way. It could not have been a more perfect day for the excursion. It was sunny and probably in the 60s. (Today it is raining.) Not to mention, that part of Ukraine is beautiful. You drive through a preservation to get there. We first went to a monument from the 1920's where 5,000-6,000 soviet soldiers were buried from WWI. It was quite interesting. It also had a great view of the Monestary from above. There will be pictures at some point. Sorry, only picts of Lance today. I am sure you are very unhappy about that. ha! Oh, by the way, women are required to have their head covered and a skirt on so they give you shaws to put on...so no laughing. ;O) Vova convinced us that we needed to get a plaque for Lance (Ivan)'s room that was made by the monks. Here is is thought to protect the child AKA make God watch over them. It is pretty and will be good to show for his culture. But of course we believe we don't need a plaque for God to always be with us. I wish I could explain the wonderful person relationship that you can have with Jesus instead of religious stipulations. Unfortunately my Russian is not that good. Ha!
We then went to a Georgian resteraunt with Vova where they have great shishkabobs. We had beef, pork, and goat, great potatos, and fresh vegetables. Probably my favorite meal so far. Amanda and Jimmie- great recommendation. It was nice to have a change of pace for the day.
John Michael and I were happy that we returned to Kramatorsk in time to visit Lance during our 6-7pm visitation hour. He was very quiet again because there was a new family. They are from Spain and seem very nice and fun. It should be fun getting to know them better. Anyway, the biggest thing with Lance yesterday was when we started getting ready to leave the play room he started crying which we didn't understand at first. Then when we dropped him off in his room it turned into a full out cry. I wasn't seeing that he realized it was the end of the hour. Aaawww...how our hearts break and smile at the same time. Can't wait until we can get him in a different setting and see what happens. He will flourish I think.
Today, our cousin Chris is leaving to go to Germany for a few days then America. We will miss him. Hopefully we won't cry like Lance, though. hee hee!
Tidbits:
- Cheryl, it sure is nice hearing from you! I understand how you feel about your precious little girl. I will be praying that your adoption is finalized very soon! I hope that we will be able to see you, too. I just don't want to promise anything until we get Lance home and see how he adapts.
- To the uncles, thanks for the support. Tim you keep us smiling here with your advise to Lance. I know he appreciates it too. John Michal wants to say "what's up" to the fellow bro-in-laws
- Kym, I hope you are feeling better
- We appreciate each and every one of you. Please do not feel as though your comments are not extremely important to us if we do not respond directly to you.

Thank you again!!!
Karen and John Michael

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the pictures. It looks like he is really getting comfortable with you guys. Why are you feeding the child dandelions? Is that a Ukranian dish (ha)? I'm printing up some of these pics to take to Grandma today. Love to all. Tante Judy

Greg, Kristy, and John Lleyton said...

While we try to teach our children all about life,
Our children teach us what life is all about.
~Angela Schwindt

The Schmidt Family said...

He is so sweet Hairstons!! I can't wait to meet him. He maybe understanding a small glimpse of how his life is radically changing for the good. What a blessing for all of you!

Susan Briggs said...

Okay--here goes.

_Wrong turns are as important as right turns. More important sometimes. --Richard Bach

_Here's one for me!
-On judgement day, if God should say did you clean your house today? I will say, I did not. I played with the children and I forgot. --Sue Wall

Well, you got me started you know! I love the pictures. It is cool that you are learning quite a bit of the Ukrainian history and culture in your time there. It will be nice to share that with Lance when the time comes!!!

Love, Suz

Susan Briggs said...

Oh, I forgot. Karen, you are looking really cute in the pictures! Must be THE GLOW of new motherhood! And Judy pointed out that you have bangs--cute! Sorry, had to get the sisterly comment in.

suz

Anonymous said...

Love hearing about your adventures and seeing the photos! Remember, that man can not live on dirt and dandelions alone. We look forward to seeing Lance in person and getting you guys back. I am glad that you are enjoying your time there.
Love ya,
Opa

kym said...

hey guys
lance looks like he is really connecting with you guys and i am sooooo happy that he is eating some stuff,,,,that sure will make the trip home much easier. your pics look like you have been with lance forever....so great! i am so glad you with vova..we wanted to do some of that stuff..it was just tooo crazy. also glad you got a good meal in at the stork! miss you bunches!
kym

Unknown said...

Sounds like fun! I'm really proud and excited for you guys. I'm canceling my dandelion wine brewing class as soon as I'm done here.

Anonymous said...

I just overheard Leks in the other room, guess what he was saying . . .

"God we just want to bless you that all things go safe for your little boy. For John Michael and Karen. We just want to thank you for all the things you give us. To help their little boy get home safely. Amen."

It has been so exciting for us to get to explain how God is working through your and Kym & Kevin's adoptions. The kids are so excited.

I loved the pictures in the swing. It has so much history for me. The picture I carried around of Lena when we were in the paperwork process was of her in that swing. Then, when we were visiting her at the orphanage we got to swing her in it too. That is when we learned that "ya stala" means "I'm tired", not "go higher" as we thought, oops.

Amanda

Anonymous said...

It is amazing how much Lance looks like the 2 of you. What a cutie! I love the gangsta hat look. We will have fun dressing him! Hey...Janie and Jack has a LOT of cute boy clothes, too.

Ahhhh...memories..."remember the time my parents fed me dandelions and then sent pictures of it out to everyone? Yeah, that was great.." :)

love,
Judy

Anonymous said...

lance my boy, your in great shape there i tell you. your moving up; any time we move forward in life, it is God showing us he is near. you started with dirt, blew right through the dandelions and on to Banas; now i call that progress.

your antie susan pointed out that your mom has been 'glowing' in the pics here recently. i noticed the same suz. motherhood has done that to all three of you girls now. (too bad some of it does not rub off on uncle larry though.)

that brings me another topic my boy: HATS. firstly, dont let your uncle lar put you into a gators hat; he will try, just because they won a few titles this year you see. he is all ra ra ra about this issue. now, secondly---well nevermind, more i think about this issue the more it comes to me that the realilty is that your stuck for the next 16 years wearing those burgundy a&m dealieos your pops sports daily. oh well, we can talk more on this in 16.25 years from now. sleep tight my boy.

~uncle tim