Wednesday, April 25, 2007

If you want the pics, start 3 posts down!!

Quote of the Day:

Everything has its wonders, even darkness and silence, and I learn whatever state I am in, therin to be content.
-
Hellen Keller


Well we are back in action it seems. We finally figured out a way to post pictures...YESSSS!!!!!

Today we were able to see Lance in his presentation. It was pretty interesting. He looked precious, of course, and we were able to see a little of the Ukrainian culture through the presentation. John Michael was able to video it too. To describe it shortly, they did a little face massage then 'foot massage' by walking in socks with plastic bottle caps sewn to the bottom; put beans in a bottle, danced to an accordian, went down a slide, walked (with 2 hands for assistance) and did finger painting. It was pretty cute. We also discovered that he is pretty happy and attached to his caregivers as we watched them in preparation for the event. It is very nice to know that he is loved here. Although it makes us a little sad to know that he will miss them more than we might have hoped with the progress. I know that he will do fine and flourish, but I do not want him to be sad.

During this visitation hour we were not able to personally interact with him due to the presentation.


The next two visits today he seemed either very tired or as though he did not feel well. We were unable to arouse him to play much at all or get many smiles. He would cuddle, though. It is just difficult when you can not tell what the problem is and you want to fix it. (And honestly, we are still in the paranoid stage of 'his he getting attached or not yet') Amanda, I think we jinxed it a little by saying it is smooth sailing from here on out. I do have to say that he still smiles when he sees us come in the room instead of crying. That is a good sign. Hee hee! (JM addition: He peed on and bit Karen today...Ha Ha. He smiled while he was doing all this so I think he likes her.)


We actually had to go buy size 2 diapers today for him because either they are putting them on wrong, which is possible, or they are way too big because he has leaked the last two days (maybe its the juice we are sneaking too). They do look pretty big on him, though. He is a tiny little guy for his age. It will be fun to see how quickly he will change at home.


Oh, I must not forget my act of stupidity for the day...I dropped our facilitators phone in the toilet out of my pocket. Yeah, that's funny, ha! So we got to go buy a new cell phone today. But as we said, there is no use in crying over spilt milk- just take your phone out of your pocket!!


Our papers were finished today and ready to be taken to the SDA in Kiev tomorrow. They only accept papers on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday and the train is at fastest 11.5 hours (that is the 'fast' train.) That means we might be able to have court next week to be official parents. Honestly, it is doubtful due to the Ukrainian holidays on the 30th, May 1 and 2nd, but we will continue to hope.


Tidbits:

- Thanks for all of you SLPs speech advise

- DirtyAg, you are Lurker #1

  • All my kiddos, it makes me cry to hear ANYthing about you guys. I sure miss you! That goes for you too, Munchkin.

  • I forgot to tell you all...we have had hot water for 3 days now!! Whoo-hoo!

  • Please keep posting. We are eating it up. You guys keep us cracking up in the computer lab here. It is a great part of my day. We also like the emotional comments, but I can't say too much about that for fear of being too mushy.

  • Hi - Preevyet

  • Bye - Packa


We love you all! Please keep the prayers going.

12 comments:

MAMASBROSKI said...

Hello Karen &John Michael.It is great to get your posts daily,it is a race for Regina and I to see who reads it first. You are talking about Lance being small, well let me have him for a while and I will cook for him, steaks, potatoes,deer chili, pink stuff,sausage,blue bell and the weight will apear see what it did for me ha ha. It is good to hear things are going well we love all three of you and pray each day that the good Lord keeps you safe &welluntill your return. Love Yall The Old Man

Unknown said...

mmmmmm pick stuff. Great pics! Ya'll stay safe and encouraged, remember we're all here praying and loving you from afar.

Anonymous said...

That would be PINK stuff, Jay, but you were beautiful too.

Oh, I can't wait to get my hands on that little boy. So he's pretty active, huh? That's okay. We can get him together with Amber Kate.

We miss you guys. Thanks for doing such a good job of keeping us informed and the pics are great!
How long will Chris be staying?

We had lightning last night so your dogs decided to join me in bed and share my pillow. I decided to sleep on the living room floor with them so that Charles wouldn't be disturbed. I woke up to find that they had both slept on my half of the bed while I was on the floor. What's wrong with this picture?

Love, G'town Mom

MAMASBROSKI said...

YES, PINK STUFF one of my families favorite homemade cool, easy desserts! Maybe I'll let you in on the receipe Jay!

LOL
Nana

Anonymous said...

We are all here at cell group and we're wondering why you didn't come. You didn't even call. By the way, we drove by your house and the grass is about waist high. And there's water running out the front door. Didn't you have an Aggie yard ornament or something. Yep, gone, too. Actually, I think the lights were on and we heard music. The Elkins football team is building a float in your garage.

No, really. Parenting seems to fit you well. We miss you. We've enjoyed reading about your SON and seeing the pictures. You are in our prayers every day. Let us know when you will be home. We'll take the brush-hog and take care of the yard. Really, we'll do whatever you need us to.

We love you!
Sharon, Keith, John, and Michelle

Cindy Watson said...

Hi Hairston Family...I was happy to see so many great pictures! It seems like things are going so smoothly...God is good!!!! I can't wait until you are all home and we can love on Lance. Karen...did not know the monkey song was your favorite?!?!?! Sounds like you have some kiddos here that really love that tune. Thanks for sharing Kym's quotes of the day. Praying for you all!

Anonymous said...

I really hope you two don't rub your thing for dropping phones in the toilet off on me. Blondie may have the count, but a Ukrainian toilet takes the cake. Yuck!!!

Glad to know he is marking his territory. Aleksei peed on Jimmie the first time he met him : )

The smile is soooo cute. Wow, you must have almost exploded with joy the first time you saw that. He does kind of look like a little mouse : ) I still think you are out of the woods, surely your not back to the big pouty lip and he is happy to see you! It will take time, it is not instantaneous, but he is getting used to you and things will get better everyday - not every kid (except for maybe Dima) smiles all the time : )

Miss you!
Amanda

Anonymous said...

I think that getting peed on is a good sign - that's the first thing that Leks did when I met him.

Susan Briggs said...

I'm not sure who's enjoying this blog more...me or you. I got a good laugh out of the Rookie and Maddie incident. Crazy Oma. And it sounds like your house might not be there when you get back. It sounds like the local HOGS might have turned it into a pigsty. But, hey, free dummy! (hopefully you catch the reference Karen) They need a few more Ags around there to straighten things out.

O.K. now that I have the laughing out of my system, I think, I have to comment on those very, very, cute pictures. I was so excited to see the smile! Don't be discouraged or afraid of today's slight withdrawal...toddlers at that age & not even in that very new situation are universal. Amber Kate's favorite phrase is "I want my mommy." This is at all times even when Larry is the fun one and would very much like to give me a break. Every day is a little different.
Quick Julia story: We were driving by an interstate bypass where they have built a lot of stone retainer walls. Julia wanted to know if we were in China. I was very confused until she told me that we were passing the Great Wall of China!! Wow, kidneys.

Last of all, here are a few quotes for you:

-If you do good, people will accuse you of selfish ulterior motives. Do good anyway.--Unknown

-The work will wait while you show the child the rainbow, but the rainbow won't wait while you finish the work. --Patricia Clifford

Troy said...

so, maybe he was just a little aprehensive because of a t-shirt saying something about m - a at texas. "where is this texas place and why do they like a's and m's??" then he'll really be confused when he figures the aggies out, then gets home and sees people in red outfits speaking like pigs in unison... looks like y'all are having a blast. we'll keep the adoption process in our prayers!!

Unknown said...

pick stuff sounds good, but pink stuff sounds even better. :)

1 said...

Hi Karen,

He will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast upon the Lord. He is with you!!

We are up in Boston with the whole family seeing Grace's adoption specialist and things are good. tomorrow we go to the New England adoption conference and our doctor and specialist present...getting good ideas for our convention this fall. Been great to follow your adoption journey! Lance is gorgeous!

You may have already heard this...I just wanted to encourage you that it is a good sign to see apprehension at first...this shows that that Lance has an understanding of who meets his needs and feels a security. Better that he has an attachment to someone- so that it can be transferred to you! Sounds like awesome progress as he gets to know you. Like Amanda said.... it takes time.

Covering you all in prayer,

Tina and Randy