The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart.
Helen Keller
Before I forget:
Ross, we looked immediately on the first day for the 'unhappy' slide but we have yet to come across it.
Amanda, Kym, I want to hear some word from Jimmy and Kevin and no secondhand messages. You vwill tell dem diis! What they don't panimayu parooski!?
Oma and Opa Lance, thanks for the update on our pups. Chris had gotten an update on Pooh and we were very jealous to hear about Mattie and Rookie. By the way, we are starting to think Lance will be very curious of the dogs so Rookie is goin' to have to recognize his movement down the totem pole.
Lurkers!! If you read and don't post, you are a LURKER! Sometimes in the internet world this comes with negative connotation. If you want to continue lurking then I guess thats just how you were raised. If not, you simply click on the 'Comments' link at the bottom of each blog and it will be simple from there.
As you have read Lance Ivan has basically become a new child....or they keep giving us the 'good' one. Well we got the 'good' one again and we have more 'good' reports. There was absolutely zero crying today. 'Are we mixing in discipline you ask?' Not so much. I'm sure crying will come when we finally decide to stop letting him walk over us in about 12 years or so. Just kidding.
Much progress has been made on the speech front. Attention: Judy and Children's Therapy Services speech therapists!!! He is making several different sounds, slobbering a lot, putting his hands in our mouths, and putting together some sounds. Some could actually be words but, if they are they aren't in pongleeski. And for those of you that don't gavaryu parooski that means 'English.'
Any suggestions on what actions to take regarding his speech will be greatly appreciated. He's liking the watered down O.J. and not liking the Cheerios. So to recap...cookies, apple juice, orange juice good; goldfish and cheerios bad.
We also swung for the first time and this is where he was making most of his sounds. The third visit today he got back on the swing and loved it and even made a steady 'da-da-da-da-' sound. We conferred with officials to get a ruling and this sound was rejected as his official 'first word.' Ha. He also began to interact somewhat with the other 3 boys being adopted. They are in the gym the same time we are in the evening. Time flew as usual during the 6-7pm session and it seemed like we were barely there when we were already putting his shoes back on. So ended another 'best day so far.' At this rate he'll be moonwalking onto our Luftansa flight to Frankfurt. Yeah!!
In other news we hade a short informal meeting with the chairman of the courts. We were there but most of the conversation was not understandable to us. It got tense at times but Olga said everything went well. There was a small chance that Alex would be off to Kiev with our documents but one paper was not completed by the inspector even with Olga checking on it continously. They are being so helpful and in our eyes doing great jobs and more importantly being great friends. There are still some cultural barriers but it feels like we usually understand each other. Even Alex and his limited English....(he knows more English than Chris and I know Russain/Ukrainian.)
They are definitely doing a lot of God's work even if they don't know it. Today we went to DaVinci to celebrate Alex's passing of his exams to complete his bachelor's degree in economics! Good times, had by all.
Guess that is it for now. We always forget to post certain things but you can tell there is plenty to read even with forgetting so much. I really hope we have pictures in this post also because we have not only had trouble with the video but, now there is trouble posting the pics. A girl showed us two days ago successfully and now after having trouble and asking again they say it won't work!? We'll figure something out hopefully, just bare with us.
Once again thanks so much!! Continue with the posts!! Dasvidanya!!
Love,
John Michael and Karen
PS- Addison keep up the great late night typing. I am really proud of you getting to the computer all by yourself!
PSS- Truman I am so glad you like our little boy
Tuesday, April 24, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



19 comments:
Hey guys--
not only was I able to talk to you today with my handy dandy notebook, I mean phone card (too much Blue's Clues), but I am also the first to post. That is, unless I take too long writing this and somebody beats me to the punch.
I think you are just trying to keep us on our toes with the no pictures thing AGAIN! I WANT TO SEE THE SMILE!!! As far as video goes, when you figure it out, let me know. And while you're at it, teach me how to build a blog when you get back!!!
Lesson 3: teach me how to say hello, goodbye and how are you in Russian (or Ukrainian if it preferred over Russian in that region)
Sounds like things are going really well. Wish I could be there. I love you guys and keep you in my prayers.
Love, Susan
Hey there again!! So glad you had such good day again today!! I am checking your blog every few hours for updates - so excited to get the news from today! It is wonderful how quickly Lance is blossoming!! THRILLED for you!!!!
it's late here and this mom is tired!! Had a bad night last night - so hoping tonight is better!!
tons of love and see you soon!!
Cheryl
What a great day. Awesome that it's going so well. We'll keep the home fires burning.
All our love-
The Ark Lefforges
Hey Karen and John Michael. I have truly enjoyed keeping up with you guys and your adoption of Lance. I just got caught up on the last 4 days of your trip. It sounds like you are having a great time. I am so trilled for you and it is so great to hear how Lance is improving every single day. He is going to be such a happy little boy when he can come home with his mommy and daddy :) You two are such an inspiration!
Laura Glass
Karen, John Michael & Lance,
T'was great to hear the good report. Re: Dogs-I had 4 dogs this past weekend to deal with. Kay went on her Women's Retreat. More of a kennel than a bachelor pad. I was glad to get back down to three dogs. The mutts are doing fine. They are eating ok, barking and growling ok, chasing each other ok and protecting the house from the windows by barking at all that moves in the front. Work has been busy, but that is a good thing. Thursday-Sunday is the Berry Creek golf tournament which is a member guest. I hope to have fun. Keep us posted. Love the blog site.
OPA
Hello...I am sorry I am just now communicating. Thanks to Amy Love...I found your blog. I used the pictures of Ms. Karen as a reward for Truman today. You should have seen his face light up when he saw you. He said..."Ms. Karen...Ms. Karen!" I explained to him about Lance...that was when he said..."I like!" I thought you would enjoy that. Wow...God is doing wonderful things! It is so awesome to hear them. Thanks for sharing! I can't wait to meet Lance! He is a doll! You and John Michael look so happy! I am so happy for you all! Sounds like you are doing a great job in the speech department...I better watch out! I am a big fan of songs, nursery rhymes...repetitive things. I know Karen does all of those in PT though...I usually hear her when I am in the clinic! Keep presenting the crunchy stuff! I would try some oral motor stuff...but since he is so happy that may make him a little mad...that will be your call on when to start that. If you want more specifics...let me know.
Your Friend!
Cindy
So I'm a lurker, so? Does that make me a bad person? OK,maybe,but if it weren't for us bad folks, there'd be no one to make everyone else look so good.
Bottom line you should be thanking me for lurking.
I'm gonna go back to lurking now, don't tell anyone.
Peace and Word to your Mother
Hey Guys!
It is so emotional/exciting for me to your read your posts. I called my Agency twice today...I am sure they are thrilled with the new found excitement/pressure I am placing on them. I will let you know if it works?!? Hopefully I will be sending you a pic of Baby Spencer before you all bring little Lance home. I am thrilled that Lance is doing SOO great. Standing and walking 10 steps is no small task and that is a huge blessing! I can not wait for him to come home and teach Samuel a few tricks! Take Care and keep posting...send more pics!
Amber
PS Samuel has requested that Mrs Karen sing No More Monkey's Jumping on the Bed to Lance. Samuel is sure he will love it!
THE BEST IS YET TO COME!
We miss you guys and can't wait (but will) until you get to come to Texas. Hows the food there other than cookies and fish?
Colton and tee ball team won their second game tonight...see what you have to look forward to...baseball, Yeah!
Give grandson, Lance great big hugs and kisses from Nana and Pa! In the meantime feel free to collect all that you can and keep them coming! We can't wait for more pictures, I printed the other 3 and show them to anyone who will look!
Love ya, Nana and Pa
Hey guys! I love hearing all of the great updates! I think he is saving his tears for a good fit one day :) Be ready!--get earplugs! just kidding! It is so fun to check the updates...I hope you all keep this up when you get back. I am NOT a lurker, but a commenter!
I agree with Cindy...keep doing crunchy food....and talking through those everyday routines using short phrases "shoes on, shirt off, wash-wash, etc"...but Karen...you probably already do this!
I will check back with you again soon!
Kristy and greg
Hi!! I didn't want to be a lurker anymore. :) We have all been hanging on every word of your blog, I look forward to reading it every night! I can't wait to meet Lance, he is SO cute. It sounds like he's doing very well! I can't wait to see more pictures! It's so neat to see this process unfold, it seems that God is moving it right along! I will keep you in my prayers! Also, I loved the comment from Addison, they forgot to tell me she was already typing!! :)
Hey Guys--
I have to say my day consists of checking the "Haps"...going to therapy and then checking the the "Haps" again. I want to see that smile! This blog thing is really cool. I can feel your excitement through each writing. It is very awesome to hear about all the things he's already doing. Hurry up and get that boy back so he can show Addison a few of his tricks. I better go put the girls to bed. Be safe and enjoy your time and give that cute little boy a kiss for me!
Miss ya
Jamie
p.s. Addison pushed up on her hands and knees tonight. Not for long but she did do it on her own...well I was singing three little monkeys jumpin on the bed...she told me thats what you sing to her.
The dirty old lurker is back. I hope that's better than a dirty old man!
I was hoping to get a sneak peek at the latest stuff.
OPA
Hey Guys, its me Munchkin. I have to go by my street name so my parents don't find out that I'm up late. Umm, Karen? You know that face I make when I grab your face and pull your hair and you have to say "No Ma'am"...well that's the face I am making because there's no pictures...my mom says I should have patience but what does she know?
Lance is so lucky to have you guys as parents. Y'all are so cool!! Well, I am working really hard in therapy and you know what I got to do today? I jumped on the trampoline with Caroline. It was so fun! Maybe Katie will let me go down the zip line soon. If I zip line it into the pit I'm gonna "Whoop" all the way down! Well, I better go. Tell my buddy Lance hi.
I miss you
Addison
Hey, I'm trying to post, but am running into problems. Just want to say that this 'lurker' is thrilled to hear all the good news. Love you guys and pray for you daily.
So some exp lang is coming already...great news!! My advise is-simply talk to him and respond to all of his vocalizations. Not much to it now, the attention and EXPOSURE will do wonders for his speech and language development. Is he responding to 'Lance' yet? More professional advise later :). Long day today...off to bed. Love you guys!
Judy
goldfish and cheerios are not my favorite either lance...try a hot dog though, trust me on this!!
we love you guys.
~uncle tim
Hello Karen, JM, & Baby Lance,
It is so good to hear from you all. It is exciting to hear how well Lance is doing. Sorry i am just getting to you all. I have had a case of kidney stones, aahhh! Cant wait to see pictures of Lance, he is too cute! I miss you all! Love, Angie
Hey Karen & John Michael,
I am so excited for you guys! Your love and generosity are truly lessons from God. I hope the process continues to go smoothly. Keep posting pictures of that sweet little boy! He is so lucky to have you as parents. :)
Take care,
Ann Brantley
Post a Comment