Monday, April 23, 2007

The shell is gone

Wow, what a day today has been!!! It was great, then I come to the internet cafe and read all of you guys posts...we are truly blessed. I am a sap, too, and am in tears reading you guys comments (Karen). It is great knowing I am going to have some fun things to read when I get here everyday. I hope you feel God's presence as much as I am right now!
Well, right now, JM is working on finding a way to download some of the fabulous video from today. We didn't bring the camera down to download picts because we thought we would have video for you guys. It seems there are technological difficulties, so please be patient with us. We REALLY do want to share this with all of you. If we can not figure it out tonight we will bring the camera tomorrow and make up for it. I promise!!
Okay, where should I begin about today.....hmmm. John Michael and I went this morning 9-10am and were able to get a smile out of him!! That was a great feeling. He was half asleep so it was a small one, but yet definitely a smile caught on camera. I was flying high again and actually couldn't take a nap when I was very tired after staying up late talking. When we returned this afternoon we were hoping for another smile but got SO much more!! We were astounded at his change today. John Michael and I were actually wondering if they changed kids on us. hee hee! It is all on video if we can get it to work. ARGH! Let me just tell you a few things he did:
  • smiled almost nonstop
  • stood from the middle of the floor by himself
  • walked about 10 steps at a time (when not tired)
  • played with the toys we brought, the ipod, and us
  • made some cooing noises
  • of course ate more cookies (spit out goldfish hee hee!)
  • and so much more!!!!

It was absolutely amazing. I am not sure if many of you understand how huge this is. Before today he would scowl, cry or just sit. He didn't pay any attention to any toys and only watched us part of the time. The evening took him a little while to get pepped up again because he awoke from a nap, but before long he was back at it. It didn't hurt my feelings when he was tired he clung on tight. We are getting so much more attached with his continued level of openess. I am in tears just thinking about today! Let me tell you, he is going to be all over the place.

We also met with the director and doctor to get the past medical information about Lance. He was born at home on July 6, 2004 and was brought to a maternity hospital on the 31st! I guess his mom tried to take care of him for a little while. He stayed in the hospital for 8.5 months until he was moved to the orphanage. He has never been put in the hospital or isolation since then. There is not too much more info. John Michael and I were invited to his presentation on Wednesday. They are also going to talk about Myrah, Lex, Lena, and Dema! We went to the notary for the first time here and had several documents notarized. Small steps, but yet steps...

That reminds me...I have been meaning to put our quotes of the day (provided by my dear friend Kym) on here. Ooops! I will start today: "A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step." I hope I quoted that correctly. I forgot the paper in the hotel.

I guess I have talked your ears off. We love you guys! Can't wait to tell you about tomorrow!
Love, Karen and John Michael

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Karen and JM! I am thrilled for you that Lance was so engaged with you today! I remember the first time we met Christy - for about the first hour - she wanted nothing to do with us and would just cry if either of us tried to take her - then - she started feeling a little more comfortable with us. The next visit - she was also like a different baby - she fell asleep in my arms and when she woke up about 45 minutes later - she stole our hearts there and then!! When we had the babyshower at home (less than 48 hours after getting her) people could not BELIEVE she'd only been with us 2 days - she was already 100% comfortable and KNEW that we were Mom and Dad! Of course - with Lance being that much older and not having been exposed to English etc etc - his journey will be longer - but no less rewarding to all of you! I wish you all the joy and love in the world as you take these steps together - and just know (I'm sure you already do!) every thing you go through is 200% worth it in the end!

Love you little sis!!
Cheryl

Anonymous said...

Hi Karen and JM!!! We check the haps daily and are so excited to hear new updates...Karen, I am with you on the tears...I cry everytime I Check on yall. I love the pictures and am so glad to hear about Lance opening up to you!! We miss you so much!!!

Jamie

Anonymous said...

Great news Karen-baren! Walking is just around the corner! I guess I will have to come out and work on that talking component :)! That is truly amazing progress. love-
Judy

Anonymous said...

What an exciting day. Thank you sooooo much for sharing the details. It makes it so much easier since you are so far away.
The dogs are doing fine.
We hope to talk to you soon.
Love, G'town Mom

Susan Briggs said...

Hey Karen, John Michael and Chris,

Where are you while all this mush-mush is going on, Chris? Are you wandering the Ukrainian streets again?
Guys, I am so excited about your news today that I did the handwringing, fingernail clicking thing I do when I'm really happy. By the way, Julia does it too! That is ABSOLUTELY great news! (and so thrilling, heartwarming, etc. for you, I'm sure) If you can't get the video going soon, please send more pictures! So if Judy is helping with speech pathology, what can I do? Well I CAN fly into see him!!! By the way, Judy was beautiful.
I got the early Mother's Day Card, by the way! Thank you mucho! I'll be wishing you the same very, very soon! It is a precious gift. Just when you get the most frustrated, you realize that they are still incredible miracles. Lance is your little miracle. Crystal, if you ever want a good dose of my girl miracles, just call! :)
I love you guys and will check the blog again later!

Love, Susan

Kate Cully said...

I can't wait to see the video of him! It sure didn't take him long to find out how fun you guys are. Gotta love that independent standing and walking :)

Love,
Kate

Anonymous said...

That is great news! I can't wait to see that BOY. We are going to be buds, I can feel it in my bones!
Hope he likes golf. Ha.

MAMASBROSKI said...

Wow, so much progress in such a short time! This is wonderful! We can feel the excitment in your post, you write so full of joy! Bet it won't be long and he will be keeping up with Cadge, Colton and Clay in no time! They will teach each other a lot!

Thank you so much for keeping us aprised of what is happening there! We are as excited to see and read your post as you are to read ours! We check the site daily!

Received graduation invite from Texas Tech today! You probably already knew but Brad is getting the degree of Doctor of Jurisprudence, with hooding ceremony May 12. Good for him!

HUGS AND KISSES
Nana and Pa

Anonymous said...

Hey guys,

You have been on my mind and in my prayers all day today! Lance is really opening up to you guys quickly....and that is so beautiful! If you can't get the video on...please add more pictures! I can't wait to hear more!
love you!
stace

Anonymous said...

Hi Karen an John Michael!! I just figured out how to post, i guess i would take the time to read then Ryan and I could have been posting this whole time--i just get too wrappend up in the news for the day!! Wow, what a wonderful feeling that smile must have brought, i bet it just made your hearts melt. And hey, I have a cookie cook book that i would love to let you guys use for as long as you want. We are so glad that you made it safely and that every day the journey you so patiently waited for is bringing you endless amounts of joy.

oh yea we meet Kevin tonight, well actually we scared each other half to death. There was a car with the lights off on the drive way and i was like hummm, so i started walking around back when he was walking forward and BAM!!! it was that funny time of night right before dark--so yea we scared each other pretty bad. I gave him your mail, i was not sure what else to do with it. But the house is fine, i think it misses you guys though. Harley says hi, he misses rookie and maddie. can't wait for more news!! jennifer, ryan, and Harley

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see the video of that sweet little boy. I love reading all about your trip. You all are in my prayers. I hope Lance continues to become closer to you both.Take care.
Love,
Alissa

Anonymous said...

What an exciting day! Don't you love it? I'm wondering what he looks like with a smile on his face, he was such a serious guy, but oh so cute. I think a smile might make the cute-meter explode!

That is really cool they are doing a presentation about Lance, Myrah, Dima, Leks & Lena. I'm so happy they get to share in our joy. I love that the orphanage staff has been able to see our kids progress and surpass what they though was possible!

Amanda

Anonymous said...

Hey guys its me Addison (Munchkin)! My Mom and Dad think I am asleep but I snuck into the study to type you a letter. I am a really good typer. See, I am typing right now! I am so ready to get an Aggie play mate!! Because I am tired of all this "call the hogs" stuff. What does "call the hogs" mean anyway? I am so out numbered at therapy...they are trying to teach me to call the hogs but I just scream really really loud at them. However, in my maturity, I look past these petty differences and am doing well in therapy and having fun. I can't get them to snort like you do though.
I really like the photos of Lance. My mom reads the posting to me every day. Please post more pictures!!!! I miss you and can't wait for you guys to get back so Lance can help teach me to crawl!
I better go, I think I hear my parents coming!!
Goodnight!
Love,
Addison

Puente Family said...

Firsts are always the best and you guys will remember them forever! I too am working on the video thing. I have lots of videos that I would love to post, but still haven't mastered it yet. So, when you guys figure it out, you'll have to share! I am so glad that you guys had such an outstanding day. Isn't God amazing? We will continue checking in and praying for you guys! Love, Jason & Stacie

Anonymous said...

so....you say no goldfish, and a thumbs up to the ipod, eh?? hmmm. seems like he will fit right in with the men in the lance/goodfellow/hairston/briggs clan jusssst fine. i bet opa even hooks him up with an 80 gig video ipod in no time (gotta have the video one opa; trust us on this). maybe he will like to hang out with me and smoke cubans while the boys golf----naaaaaa, better for your health to to golf my boy; i will meet you at the 19th hole when you done with your round though for sure.

like your quote on steps karen; seems God in deed has a plan for you all and you taks at this moment is to simply find and carry out the next indicated step. so far your efforts seems fruitful-keep going you two!

oh jm, i seem to have black helicopters flying above my office all day. think i may have spent far too much time on the CIA website thanks to your link on this cover page. hehehe.

love you guys. smile!!

~uncle timbo

aunt chrystal said...

Your child's first smile...and so soon! I'm so happy that he's warming up so quickly. I know some of this journey has been discouraging, but do you even remember that now, after that smile? God truly is awesome!

No goldfish for the boys either. They hate those things! See? He fits in perfectly (on both sides of the family) already!

Colt has another ball game tomorrow(Tues). Think Clay is jealous. He asked if I told y'all that he has new shoes lol. He's doing really well in "school". Cadge is still focused on canna(candy lol) & banas(bananas).

Susan-You send those girls to my house any time!!! I'm drowning in blue here. I need some pink in my life ;-P !!!

We love y'all! Give Lance big hugs from us (oh, I can't wait til we get to do that for ourselves!!!)
Love~Aunt Chrystal

Unknown said...

Goldfish and Cookies...sounds like he's ready for a fruit roll up.

I'm so happy for you guys. Thanks for keeping us posted. Of course this is a time you'll remember forever, and it's truly magic. We're excited to see how God will bless.