Helloooooo.........
First of all we are sorry we are just now posting. Yesterday we were pretty worn out and could not find an internet cafe near by. We are so happy to update you guys now!
I will start from the beginning...When we arrived to catch our plane (for the second time) on Wednesday we were told it, too had been cancelled because the flight crew couldn't get there from the north. We then were told we would be put on a Delta flight to Atlanta, then Frankfurt and catch our original plane to Ukraine. We went to the Delta counter to check-in and they said the flight to Frankfurt was full! Eventually we got it all worked out and the final flight plan ended up with us in Atlanta for 7 hours, then Frankfurt and flying Ukrainian International Airlines to Kiev. We were worried a little, but it ended up going smoothly. (By the way, there were no luggage charges for the Ukrainian airlines, as we thought there might be...yesss!!)
So, we arrived in Kiev yesterday at 2:45pm. We were very happy to see Olga our facilitator, then her boyfriend Alex and Chris! our cousin!! They were sights for sore eyes. We spent the rest of the day walking a little, trying to get a phone card (but really didn't know what kind to get) and eatting at a little pizza place. The pizza was great by the way! We had plenty of jet lag to deal with so we didn't last beyond 8:00pm.
Now on to the interesting news. We had our appointment at the SDA this morning at 11:00. The people were very nice and we felt comfortable there. We were told a little about Lance Ivan's family...mother was born in the 80's, the dad was unknown, he has a brother who was adopted by Ukrainian nationals in 2002. As they say, the mother had an immoral lifestyle because she does not work...whatever that means. We were excited to learn that we could take Lance's picture from his file because we had one of our own to exchange for it!!!!! Good tip for prospective adopting parents. Maybe I can take a picture of it and post tomorrow. I tried to ask a lot of questions about getting the five days waived and other things but they said I have to talk to different officials. We will get our referral today! Unfortunately, Olga already bought our train tickets for 9:00pm tomorrow, so we will have to wait one more day to see Lance anyway. John Michael will get to meet him at approximately 10:00 on Saturday! It has already been approved. I found out the SDA (head of adoptions) will be closed the 30, 1, 2, and 9th, but open between those days. I also found out they might waive the 5 day wait if Olga calls and asks, but not for sure (see itinerary for explaination.) So, overall, everything is going very well in the process.
Now we are going to get something to eat...have not eatten anything yet (it is 1:00pm) and go to the outdoor market. We pick up our referral at 5:00 tonight.
Love you guys!!
Karen and John Michael
Thursday, April 19, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



8 comments:
Hi John Michael and Karen! It's Kate and Angie here in the office. We're so glad you made it there on time. Can't wait to hear about your family reunion at the orphanage. Enjoy your son!!
Wow, I can't get this time change thing figured out. So, by time we read again on Saturday, John Michael, you will have met your son for the first time and Karen will have had a joyous reunion with your son! What a wonderful time! Wish there was a camera on the wall to record it all! We will live it thru your words and pictures! Be safe, have fun and trust in him to know what is best! Dad and I love you both so very much! We are here for you and can't wait to meet our newest grandson!
MoM and Dad in Cameron
We are delighted to know that all is finally going smoothly. We are really glad to hear that you finally arrived and were able to get some rest. Seeing little Lance will probably provide a real boost in energy! We continue to pray for all of you and know that God has a great blessing in store for you.
Love you, Mom and Dad in Georgetown
Karen & John Michael,
We were pleased and excited to learn that you arrived safely! Just a note to say that Opa & Oma love you very much. Enjoy this time together. Take notes and photos. Love each other. We love you!
OPA
Congrats, we're excited for you!
Thanks for posting the latest!!! I have so many questions (as usual) already, but I'll try to be patient and get the full story later. My heart is so full of the emotion I know you will feel and I can't imagine how this whole experience must be to you, J.M., seeing Karen's love at first sight for the first time. We love you guys and can't wait to see the little guy...poor booger is not going to know what to do with all the attention! I pray it all goes smoothly for you. I'm so glad to hear you're safe and things are rolling along...it was meant to be!!!
Love, Susan
So glad you made it to destination safe. If you run into any further speedbumps in the road, just remember, God has a plan! Please keep the updates coming in here when you can; we check on you two here daily.
~Unlcle Tim
I am so glad to check in and see that things are going okay! Enjoy your time and keep posting! Take care, Stacie
Post a Comment