Sunday, April 29, 2007

Unc's Last Day

We are up early this morning so Karen can do a little research for something Olga has her working on and we didn't get a quote from the bag yet. Thanks Susan and Christi for yours! Amanda and Kym, I did open a card yesterday however. The one with the elephant sitting on the beach chair...remember?
So last night Unc Chris took off and should be in Kiev by now. He'll be back in the states shortly. It really was great having him her for his international expertise. Although he had never been to a country that used the Cyrillic alphabet, he still had a lot to bring to the table. Chris, I hope you had a lot of fun and enjoyed your time here. I know we will be talking about this trip for the rest of our lives. And I know Lance Ivan will remember you when we get back!!Hope your travels back home go smoothly. And you better post!! What's up shto's?!
Yesterday was a dreary Eastern European Sunday. We visited Lance 3 times and all went well. I think the afternoon visit was the most fun as he was being very interactive with his bear and moose blanket. He would move them back and forth and grab their paws to perform actions like touching this small musical keyboard. He did a lot of his little quirks that we've come to learn mean he is happy. Like quickly grabbing his shoulder with the opposite hand and then slowly patting it. I guess they are some things that have been brought on from the institutionalizing but, they are cute. In the morning visit we did work in the "juice box introduction." First he bit the straw. Then Karen did the finger over the straw and put it in his mouth thing...and he bit he straw. Then he kept at it and eventually sucked some juice up on his own....and he bit the straw. He didn't quite finish it but, he did a really good job. We are getting more and more sounds little bit by little bit still. We'll take anything.
Mom, Dad, Blake thanks so much for calling last night. It was great to hear your voices and hear a little bit about home right now. Like I said we have a lot to show and tell. Oh, and we'll have this little guy to bring back for you too!! Can't wait to throw him into the Hairston family and all the boys!!
Guess thats it today. Chris took all the pictures yesterday and I didn't get them off his camera before he left so no pics today. Sorry. We'll see you guys next time!

JM and Karen

14 comments:

MAMASBROSKI said...

John Michael and Karen, it was great hearing your voices also! The blog is wonderful but the phone makes it more personal. ( I had a time with the 3-4 sec delay.) But, modern technology is great anyway. Great to hear in your voices what we have been reading. They joy of getting to know your son and to see a new country. Its all a lot. I know you will dread the train ride to Kiev, but remember its like the last push in labor, you know its gonna hurt but you know afterwards your reward is that beautiful son. All the hurt, all the tired, all of it just magicially disappears. Good luck is what is yet to come! Hugs and Kisses to you and to our grandson!

Love you both, Nana and Pa

Anonymous said...

Karen, did you really stick your finger in his mouth again?
I bet Lance has us all grabbing and patting our left shoulders before long! Thanks so much for your descriptions of him. I feel like I'm getting to know him already, but it will certainly be wonderful to see him FOR REAL!! Any ideas about when you're coming home?
Tante Judy

Anonymous said...

juicy juice.... mmmmmm good.

mommy feeding it to you with her finger over the tip of the straw so it dribbles in your mouth... priceless.

~uncle tim

Cindy Watson said...

I enjoy reading all the wonderful things going on with your sweet family! Thank you for taking the time to keep us updated on all the details! Love it! We miss you so much! We cotinue to pray for good health and safety for you all.

Susan Briggs said...

Hallo!

Sag mal, Karen, geht Chris direkt zuruck nach den Vereinigten Staaten oder bleibt er eine weile in Deutschland? I have his itinerary set up so that he is leaving Frankfurt on the 3rd of May and going back through Charlotte, NC. Has that changed?

Anyhoo- it is interesting to remember all the things that will be so new to Lance. And amazing how fast they pick everything up. We love him and all his little quirks already. I think I am going to have to plan a visit sooner than I thought. Two ton auntie Susan coming through! By the way, baby Charlotte might kick him if I hold him. She has an interesting habit of doing that to any baby I hold!

--"You really can change the world if you care enough."--Marian Wright Edelman

--Funny quote by Rodney Dangerfield: "I haven't talked to my wife in years. I didn't want to interrupt her." ;0)

Anonymous said...

Hey guys, sorry I didn't get a chance to call you tonight. The trip was fine. Sooo excited to hear the latest. I'm sure Lance Ivan is having almost as hard a time with me leaving as JM is (Karen- tell them i'll see them soon, and make sure JM practices his chip shot). I'll call you tomorrow, but I also look forward to reading your posts. Can't wait to see you guys back home.

chris "the unc-man cometh" lefforge

Anonymous said...

Hi Ms. Karen and Mr. John Michael,

Today we played outside with the sidewalk paint. I rolled the paint with the "rubber" (roller).

When I get big I want to get a big truck like Ms. Kym.

I miss Ms. Karen a lot.

Love,
Lena

Anonymous said...

I miss John Michael and Karen. I will be friends with your son. John Michael was funny in the video.

Love,
Dima

Anonymous said...

I like John Michael. I miss you guys. I will pray for you.

Love,
Leks

Anonymous said...

he cloudy dreary days are why the eastern Europeans have always been warriors, they keep trying to fight their way out from under the cloud cover.
Old Army saying that I made up.
That story about Lance was really the last straw!:)
The dogs have been very active-thunder storms in the area, so you know the rest of the story. But not to worry, the repair bills shouldn't be over 2 or 3 thousand.
Love you guys, give Lance a high five from his Opa and future golfing buddy..
Opa

Anonymous said...

Karen and John Michael, Lance is adorable and the pictures and the video just allow an amazing connection to your journey for those of us following it many miles away. We keep up everyday!!! I wish we could send you a picture of home. Things are blooming, birds are chirpping, it is like nature is preparing for your new addition to come home. however, i think that you have become the new parents of more then just a son. there seem to be a nest of baby bunnies that have moved into the dog house. We are not sure how or when they arrived, but they are there and have made themselves at home (there are 4.)Anyways just an interesting tidbit from home for you all to ponder on.

we hope the rest of the trip goes as smoothly and hope to see you guys soon

Jennifer and Ryan Heiges

Susan Briggs said...

Hey you guys--I've heard from Chris, so I already know the scoop. No need to comment. Love you bunches and look forward to your and everybody else's blog comments. Kisses to Lance from his Auntie Susan!

Anonymous said...

Sag mal, Karen, geht Chris direkt zuruck nach den Vereinigten Staaten oder bleibt er eine weile in Deutschland?
see lance my boy, anyone can speak like your auntie susan! LOL.

that reminds me, i spoke with your uncle larry today and he was on the way to london to work (you know, to serve drinks & take orders from rich passangers) and he asked me to drop you a line here tonight to tell ya he loves you.

smile.
~uncle tim

Anonymous said...

my husband is cracking me up!

I like you, too, John Michael.

:)love,
Judy