Sunday, May 13, 2007

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!!

Quote of the Day: What children take from us, they give... We become people who feel more deeply, question more deeply, hurt more deeply, and love more deeply.
--Sonia Taitz

Day 23 May 13th Mother's Day:
I feel really happy for Karen to be able to officially celebrate her first Mother's Day...and in Ukraine!? I guess its kinda fitting? Luckily the East Coast weather that delayed us one day from our departure allowed us to stop by Wolf Ranch in Georgetown and get Mother's Day cards...and for me to get Karen a gift.
Oma and Nana: You can now open up those envelopes we know you've been anxiously awaiting to open. Hope you have a great Mother's Day. Thank you so much for being so supportive and encouraging not just during this great time of need but, our whole lives. I know we are definitely using many things you taught us during our time as new parents in Ukraine. We love you! And it will be a great day when we present Little Lance to you for the first time.
To our sisters Susan, Chrystal, and Judy: We have been getting the "Just you wait" line for several years now. Well the waiting is over! We hope you don't think we ever blew you off when those times came up. We developed too much respect for you as sisters and mothers to disregard things you said about parenting. During our time with Lance there have been many times when one of us would say "Susan doesn't let Julia do that"...or "Judy makes Alexis do this"...or "Chrystal would do this if..." We followed Amanda and Kym's lead here to Ukraine and will follow your lead as parents throughout our lives.
To Kym and Angela, Happy 1st Mother's Day! Everyone else, keep up the good work and enjoy your Mother's Day too.
John Michael actually told me Happy Mother's Day first at 12:05 last night. I will explain why later, but I was impressed he remembered. Many of you know he is pretty good at all that kind of stuff. This morning he had planned to take me to breakfast. Unfortunately, we soon learned that the resteraunt didn't open until 11:00 so he made me breakfast instead. It was really nice. He also brought out the card that Kym and Amanda sent with us for today. Thanks guys! I am still in suspence as to what JM got me because he has been hiding it the whole trip, but has not brought it out yet. :o)
We played outside with Lance again today since the weather is once again gorgeous! His walking sure is improving. He seems to be developing a little tummy, too. hee hee! Today JM and I bought some little ice cream bars at the grocery store and ate them with Lance outside (he just had a couple of nibbles.) It was a nice little memory for my mother's day. This afternoon (about 30 minute ago) Olga and Alex presented me with a gift as well. It is a pretty silver jewelry box. I thought it was extremely kind of them. Then, on top of all of that, Amanda called to wish me a Happy Mother's Day. Wow, I feel pretty spoiled! Lance has no clue at this point, but his precious smile is enough for me.
I hate to end on a serious note, but I have a major prayer request. I know there are some awesome prayer warriors reading this, so I have great confidence. The reason JM and I were up late last night is because a person we recently met here was in a head-on collision yesterday. The other car's driver fell asleep at the wheel(it was a family of 3 adults and one infant). Our friend seems to be relatively fine physically, but emotionally is having a difficult time. The other family is all hospitalized, but we are not sure of their condition. Please pray for:
-physical healing
-emotional healing specifically for both drivers who carry a lot of guilt (even our friend who did everything possible to avoid the accident)
-financial security, there is no car or health insurance in Ukraine
-for both families to grow closer to God during this time and that the devil will not be able to gain a stronghold in their life through this event

Thank you so much!
John Michael and Karen

Again Happy Mother's Day!!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have to make this comment in a hurry. I am leading the Adult Bible Fellowship this morning, so I have to be on time. Isn't God good? That video was precious and to hear that Lance is walking better all the time is very encouraging to me. Hope you are having a wonderful Mother's Day. We (Kay, Judy et ux) are planning a Mother's Day here for Kay's Mom. We hope she enjoys it. Koy will be here, of course. I will ask our Bible Fellowship to pray for your friend. Better go.
Opa

Aunt Chrystal said...

It's so wonderful to hear Lance's giggle! He's already progressed so much, and you're going to be even more amazed as the years go on. Children are truly a blessing, and they will make you feel things so deeply that it will leave you speechless. Just you wait...you'll see ;o)

Happy Mother's Day Karen!

Love, Aunt Chrystal

Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing your video lance. we love it. keep them coming!

love that giggle.

~uncle tim

MAMASBROSKI said...

How great it is to hear him laugh and squeel! Lance seems to love the upside down thing. Will be a blessing to hear him laugh in person. Keep the pictures and video coming!

Karen, hope you are having a wonderful Mother's Day and you love what Lance and John Michael gave you. I love my cards, Thank you, they are so cute and you found one with "Nana" WOW! Thank you again.

Dad and I went to church in Davilla, Bill my boss was preaching there. It was wonderful to be in a little country church to hear God's word. Bill did a good job. Dad had lunch at Kathy's with his Mom and family. Teresa and Richard, Mom and Pop and Chrystal and family were here. Had some wonderful chicken thanks to Chrystal. The dressing was good also, thanks to Teresa.

Can't wait to share our receipies when ya'll are here.

Hugs and Kisses to Lance!
Love Nana

Anonymous said...

Happy Mother's Day!!!! They announced in the bulletin at church this morning that you are the proud parents of Lance Ivan Hairston! They also gave your blog, so I had to get on here and check it out. I read it from beginning to end (all the way back to February) while my whole house was taking Sunday afternoon naps. I loved reading all of your stories and seeing all of the pictures! I sat here and giggled and giggled...except when John Michael wrote about how Karen's nickname is "Little Miracle." Then I cried.

Karen, it reminded of our very first discovery when you asked for prayer for your trip over there a year ago. Only the Lord knows what a miracle you truly are in this precious boy's life. God's extravagant love astounds me every time! What a miracle that he would bring the two of you from across the world to love and care for the precious boy, the apple of His eye. Incredible that he has been trainging both of you up through education, work, and ministry at New Heights to prepare you for this moment. It reminds me of the story of Esther who was brought into the kingdom "for such a time as this." May God give you patience, perseverence, incredible joy and fulfillment as you love on this little boy. I am so proud of you and am encouraged by your obedience and courage.

We're still waiting on the raincheck for dinner! I know Titus and Audra would love to have Lance Ivan over to play, too! We have a great swimming pool in the neighborhood!

Much Love,
Ashley Shaver

Anonymous said...

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!! See you soon!

Susan Briggs said...

Happy Happy Mother's Day Mutti! I almost blogged before watching the little video, but I decided to backtrack...glad I did, what a cute little laugh! I remember the first time Julia deep belly laughed was from simply watching me flip a water bottle back and forth and the bubbles popping back up to the surface. I couldn't believe it...I think Oma still has it recorded on her answering machine! The main point is that children can make you crazy, but they can also reinstill a sense of nostalgia, of innocence, of unaltered delight at things that you have long since forgotten. It is a true blessing to be able to relive that.

I have so long to go as a mother and some days feel like a complete failure, but I love my girls and I learn a lot about myself and everything else in the journey. We can all learn from each other in the big parent world. Welcome!!! Thanks for the kind words, you two. And I am not surprised by John Michael's thoughtfulness. He has always been way ahead of the game in that department.

Love ya, Susan

Anonymous said...

Karen, John Michael and Lance,

What a wonderful day for all of you! How exciting to be able to celebrate Mothers day in such a setting! I dont have a great quote for you all, but I think you all should read some of your own postings! what great words of wisdom, hope, and encouragment you all have! Your strength and excitement in the Lord is evident. I check your blog every day...keep it up!
Kristy

Anonymous said...

Happy Mothers Day, Karen-baren. I loved the video-it is so nice to see the joy the 2 of you bring to Lance ( and vice versa). I love you.
Judy

Anonymous said...

Hi Karen, JM and Cutie Lance!
I LOVE the pic of Lance and Karen - if you just look back to the photos from the beginning of your trip - amazing how he has changed and such a happy little soul!!!

Hope you enjoyed your first Mothers Day - I did too!!!

Only problem....I am not able to view the videos - it just keeps saying "loading...." anyone who has any suggestions, I would be grateful!! I would love to hear the giggles too!!!

Your trip will be coming to an end soon - and a WHOLE new journey beginning!!

tons of LOVE!
Cheryl

PS - Christy has started a new club - TAPS (Toddlers Against Parents Sleeping) so let me know if Lance needs a registration form or not!

Cindy Watson said...

I love the picture of you and Lance! You both look great! I had no idea that Ivan translated to John. That is awesome! I have learned so many wonderful things on this blog. Keep it up!

I will be praying for the friends in the car accident.

Cindy

Susan Briggs said...

Hey Karen--got your hotmail message. Please check your mail. I'm keeping you in my prayers (and your friends) in all things. I've tried to call several times but am unable to get through...will try again!
Love, Suz

Amber said...

So good to hear all the good news. I am so excited for you all! Thanks for adding our blog. I hope you had a great 1st Mother's Day! I am glad you all will be home soon! Caroline is 2 1/2 mo old and we should go get her in July. Samuel stood with his braces for the entire ABC's...we were so excited! I can't wait to meet Lance, the picture of you two on the front page is beautiful. I will be praying for your friend.
Take Care,
Amber