Sunday, May 20, 2007

Light at the End of the Tunnel, Home Stretch, Final Lap.....

Quote of the Day: Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
--Unknown

Day 30!! May 20th
Well yesterday was our big shiskabob picnic at the lake! Vova and his family(wife Elona and son Dima) invited us and provided more than enough food and drinks. We were unable to post because we went to Antoshka at 9 to see Lance then left at 10 for the picnic. We arrived back at the apartment tired and with a little bit of sun at 8:15 which gave us 45 minutes to take showers before the hot water was turned off. The weather was awesome and Vova and Elona proved to be great hosts. We built a campfire, cooked the delicious shiskabobs, played a little futbol, walked barefoot in the sand, and helped ourselves to the clear cool lake. Unfortunately we didn't bring our swimsuits to Ukraine(what were we thinking...wink) so Karen was unable to get fully submerged...until we threw her in...just kidding. Vova said the lake hasn't been there very long. They started digging there, for the sand, and tapped into a spring, hence the clear water. They are continuing to dig so the lake is getting bigger and bigger. The lake is outlined by a forest (mostly pines) which really provided a nice setting. On the way out before sunset, we had a short delay as a car had become stuck in the sand. From there on it was smooth sailing.

Now.... Onto our final days!!

I can't believe we are already here. Karen and I treated our infamous "10 Days" like the beginning of the trip. You just get going, get into it, don't watch the clock, and boom your there before you know it. It really seems like a short time since our court date last Thursday, 11 days ago. I mean tomorrow is our last night here in Kramatorshk!! Tomorrow Lance Ivan will officially be ours for the rest of his life! I need to sit down...yikes...I'm already sitting down.
The schedule from here on out:
Monday, go pick up our court decree(processed last week) which states that Lance Ivan is ours. We will say our final goodbyes and pack.
Tuesday Alex, Olga, Karen, Lance,me, Vladimir, and Vladimir(Vova) leave for Donetsk in two cars with all our luggage. We leave straight from the orphanage after picking Lance up which will be the beginning of him being solely our responsibility! Once in Donetsk we will be going to several offices, picking up documents, and doing a lot of waiting in the car. We will board an overnight train to Kiev from there with Alex and Olga.
Wednesday, immediately off the train Alex will take our luggage to the apartment and the rest of us will begin our work obtaining more documents.
Thursday, our appointments continue hopefully ending by 3:30 p.m. Our last stop will be the good ole' US Embassy.
Friday, departure time from Kiev at 6:45 a.m. with an ultimate arrival at XNA in Fayetteville at 4:33 p.m. on Friday!! 18 hour trip with pretty much no layover time to catch our breath. Don't be surprised if we pass out at XNA. Then life, in the U.S., as we know it will never be the same....AAAAHHHHHHHH!!!! That is the plan and we hope that all of you will be praying for a smooth ride back home.
Tommorrow is our last gauranteed day of internet access. We'll have a "possible" final post tomorrow and as much as we want to keep everyone up-to-date it may not be possible in Kiev. We will try.

Enjoy the pictures and hope you're having a great Sunday!!

Karen and JM 4:15 p.m.


These are some pics from our little shiskabob picnic at the lake Saturday.

This is our little setup on the bank. Snacks all day.


I wanted to get a shot of the clear water. Not too bad huh? Can you believe some people come to adopt during the cold season and miss out on this?! Ha.


Vova's Family, Dima, and Elona


Vova had just put the stakes on and pouring a little "vino" for an extra taste.

One of our last days without Little Lance!

This is a car that got stuck in the sand on our way out. Vova is going to the rescue! I know what you're thinking. Me too. ;)




This was Friday. We officially said our goodbyes and gave our last gifts to Ivan's room. Saying this now I wish I would have taken a picture of the caregivers with our gifts. Dang it. This is the Director of the Antoshka orphanage,Antolly. We were able to give our thanks and visit together one last time.

Alex and Lance Ivan outside that morning at the orphanage.


A nice family shot, eh!

I found out a couple of days ago this a fun activity for Little Lance. I help him do pull-ups. He does more of the pulling up than you would think. He can hang freely for about ten seconds also! The Ukrainian mamas and babushkas didn't think this was very funny.

These are a couple of kids(Sergei and Igor) and caregivers from room 4....plus Alex again. Ha. Olga's mom is on the right.

16 comments:

Aunt Chrystal said...

Oh my goodness! Is it time to come home already?! I've been so wrapped up in everything that's going on here (I'll explain later) that I've completely lost track of time! Yay!

Okay, glad y'all had a nice time on your picnic. Yes, was thinking the same thing about the guy pushing the car...that was very nice of him to help ;O) lol.

Lance is getting cuter every day. What size is he wearing? I was shopping for Cadge Friday and thought how cute it would be if they had something that matched. Remember how I used to coordinate Clay & Colt & everyone thought they were twins? I can't wait!!!!!

Okay, gotta go take care of the puppies. Check your email.

We love you all so much!
Chrystal, Chris, Clay, Colt, and Cadge

Aunt Chrystal said...

One more thing...love the picture of Lance doing pull-ups! I believe we've got some pics of the boys doing the same thing. Oh, wouldn't it be cute if we had a picture of them all lined up doing pull-ups! Oh, oh, and Lance is going to luuuv the trampoline!

MAMASBROSKI said...

Hey, I wrote you a long email this am, so check your email!

Dad and I are so glad to hear that your last leg of your journey is almost over! Isn't God wonderful! To provide such an opportunity for you two to pick you child, or Karen did he pick you out so many months ago? He looked at you and thought, "I think she would be a good mommie, god make it so. and I know she has a good daddie for me too!" Good for you Lance!

Mattie and Rookie are finding beds all over to crawl into and out of and on top of. Rookie was growling at the AC vent in the computer room and when it kicked on!! They have plenty of food and with your go ahead with the bones. Dad will give them a treat of Grilled Pork
steak bones later today! They were sure good, with baked potatoes and corn on the cob in the shucks, all on the grill!! mmm sorry! But Dad will fix ya'll some, bet Lance would love it,too! Can't wait to hug and kiss him! But, we will.....

Hugs and Kisses
Nana and Pa

kym said...

congratulations! i am soo happy that the time has gone by fairly fast for you. it seems to me that you guys have been gone FOREVER. you are truly missed! oh i can't wait to see little lance again..he is precious.
see ya soon back in razorback country! ha/ha
kym

MAMASBROSKI said...

HELLO HAIRSTON FAMILY

Dang there is so much I would like to tell you but there is not enough room. So it will be a quick note. First, I love you all very much and pray for a safe and quick return, Second The Spurs advance, Third Hunter Pence is a ball of fire,Fourth and most of all please get Lance home fast before everyone pops with excitement. Again we love the three of you very much.

SPEEDY RETURN
THE OLD MAN

Anonymous said...

Hey there!! It's so wonderful that your trip is coming to an end and a whole new beginning is starting!! I can tell from your post how relaxed and excited you are - I am thrilled for you!! Good luck for the LONG trip home with Little Lance, hope it goes well!!

The family photo is precious! Take LOTS!!!!

Glad you had a good picnic and day out at the lake.

I am sure the rest of your appointments and documents etc will go through like a breeze!! You guys are blessed and you both deserve it! (and of course - Lance deserves such wonderful parents too!!)

I'm being summoned - Dad doesn't cope too well with the hair-brushing!!!!

Lots of love to you all and SEE YOU SOON!!!!!!

Uncle Blake said...

Well Well Well. It seems like everything has turned out great. I'm glad y'all had a good time at the lake. The water looks so good. I just want to jump in. We topped out at about 95F the other day down south and its gonna get hotter. WOOHOO! Anyways. Rookie and Maddie are doing great. Rookie still has every last one of those million rubberbands wound up inside him, and Maddie is finally softening up to me. Friday night I was sitting on the couch, and she was on the other end. I eased my arm over to her and started to pet her for a few minutes before I stopped. She got up and moved closer. And so on and so forth before she ended up in my lap. I can tell by looking at them that they miss y'all. The will be so excited when the see y'all again. Well I need to go. My turn for the shower. Chrissy and I came up to C-town for the weekend to see Pop. Please pray for him. Anyways. Glad that y'all 3 get to come home soon. We can't wait to meet our new nephew. WE LOVE Y'ALL!


Blake, Chrissy, Jr., and Alyson

Kate Cully said...

Kym's right...it does seem like you've been gone forever! We can't wait to have you guys back, and I'm dying to meet Lance.

Your picnic looked like so much fun. It's neat to see that you're enjoying the time you have left there. It's not every day you get to see cars getting stuck in the sand!

Have a safe journey home!

Love,
Kate

Unknown said...

I don't know if you will get this before your 'internet time' runs out, but I just want you to know that you are constantly in our thoughts and prayers. We have been blessed to be a part of this process through your blog. Thanks for including all of us. Chris, Paul and I are checking the blog several times a day just to make sure we don't miss anything.
I hope that you will keep us all up to date on Lance and the other Hairston's progress as you go through this very exciting adventure! Can you just imagine what must be going on in his little mind? WOW.
We WILL be praying for you today and for the rest of the week as you make your last leg of this part of a long journey.
We love you so much, and are very proud of you.
Aunt Judy L

Anonymous said...

wow, how time has flown. in one sense it seems as though you just left yesterday, but then on the other hand it seems it has been 30 days. i am sitting here sort of laughing to my self about how much fun the journey home will be. i can so see lance's curiosity taking over and him being into everything. i hope the trip will be safe for all who are traveling. i will be praying that all of your meetings, nd paper documenting go smoothly. can wait to meet the new addition to the neighborhood.

ryan and jennifer

Anonymous said...

that last comment was supposed to be can not wait to meet the new addition to the neighbor hood, my fingers got ahead of me

FosterFam said...

I am so excited for ya'll. It seemed to go by so quickly since we got to read along...seems like we were all there with you guys. Lance is a cutie...can't wait to meet him in person.

Good Luck with your travels. I will be praying for you to have an easy trip...18 hours with a little one...AAAAHHH ;)

Love Amanda F

Aunt Chrystal said...

Still thinking about y'all and praying for you.
Love,
Chris, Chrystal, Clay, Colt, & Cadge

Susan Briggs said...

Hey Guys--
I'm doing a group email shout out to you! We just caught up on the latest blog and pictures on the Carnival Conquest. Thanks for sharing! It is the final countdown and we will see you again soon plus one bambino! We are saving all our hugs and kisses until then. Judy said...well, most of them! Hmmm....Larry and Tim can't bust on eachother, at least on the blog, since they are now harassing eachother face to face. It is mom's birthday today and so we'll bask in the sun in honor of her! :0) Love the pics...we'll check to see if there are any further blogs later!!! Group email activity, ya know.

Love, Mom, Dad, Judy, Tim, Larry and your favorite Susan (guess who wrote this?) Judy says "whatever". Ciao!

P.S. Tim found Waldo (in the casino)

Cindy Watson said...

I love the pictures. My favorite is the one of Lance hanging from the bar...he looks very happy! I have to say it does seem like you have been gone a long time! I can't wait to see you all in NWA. Praying for a wonderful trip home!

Your Friend,
Cindy

MAMASBROSKI said...

We are all praying for a safe return. What an adventure you are all instore for...the rest of your lives. The ups and downs, the laughs and crys...keep us posted on the Blog and we will be there with you. If you have any questions it seems there are a lot of moms and dads out here with plenty of helpful advice on how we handled things and ya'll turned out very well.
Anyway...we pray for speedy paper work, no hassles, and Friday am will be here before you know it. Probably when you finally read this you will be home for a week or two.....WELCOME HOME HAIRSTON FAMILY WELCOME HOME!!!!

Nana/Regina/Mom