Quote of the Day:
Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome while trying to succeed.
-Booker Taliaferro Washington, 1856-1915
Yeah! I'm back (Karen)! I haven't been able to write in a while and for some reason I am pretty excited. I guess I feel like I get to talk to you all. ha! Well, as you can tell things are going rather smoothly here. In fact we are hoping to get the papers that were supposed to come back tomorrow, today instead. If this does happen, it means that we should have court early next week (hopefully Monday.) Wednesday is a holiday again so we need to get it done before then so our 10 day waiting period can begin ASAP. When the 10 days are up we will only have a few days of paperwork and we will finally be on our way HOME. Augh that sounds so good. It is always nice to be home. :o) We can't wait to show Lance his new home and his family and friends. Wow, that will be exciting.
Right now he is adapting well, but we are still needing to introduce new circumstances a little cautiously. The sun, even with cloud cover, is still extremely bright and tiring for our little guy. We tried to eat soup with him there (after we had helped feed him lunch, mind you) and he became very upset trying to get it. I was giving him some, but obviously not fast enough. I think it is too much like the food he receives from the caregivers and he was worried that he wouldn't get his food. It was sad and hard to explain to him. However, with new foods that he is not familiar with, we have not had this problem. He became a little upset when his yogurt was finished, but not too bad. We discovered he might be like his dad with the love of milk. He would drink some then stop and sigh, then continue. Other than food, he is really trusting us and showing his true colors. Let me tell you, he is all boy. It is hilarious. He is now trying to climb up things, loves to play wrestle, and even makes moves as though he is challenging the stuffed toys. It is in a cute manner not truly mean for those who were getting worried. We are still infatuated with swinging hinges on doors and windows, though.
I am not sure if it is us wanting the clothes to fit better or him gaining weight from our continuous feeding trials, but they seem to fit better. We are going to try pinning some of the pants today and see if they won't fall off.
It is sunny today, so we hope to go outside again. Although it is really cold. We heard it snowed in Kiev yesterday. Whew, in May. This is not normal weather for here, either. It shouldn't matter for Lance because he is always wrapped in about 5 layers like the kiddo on Christmas story. We need him to get a little vitamin D from the sun and we need it too. Okay, one more brag on our little guy- he laughed almost all day yesterday. It was fabulous!
Last night we hung out with the couple from Spain for about 1.5 hours. It was really nice. We were even invited to visit them. They have all sorts of ideas on what we could do there. I have to admit we are very tempted. I have always wanted to go to Spain!
tidbits:
-Dad, sorry we didn't expain a little better. We were getting Lance to sign 'more' for the food, not verbalize. He is making a lot more sounds, though.
-Chirs, the family from Tel Aviv is the family with the deaf little girl with the cochlear implant. He is very nice, by the way.
-Munchkin, I a glad to hear you are doing so well. I was wondering if you got caught sneaking to the computer. We do have an A&M shirt (he might fit in next year, hee hee), but definitely need to work on the A&M hat.
-About my 'glow', thanks by the way, it could be from motherhood. It does make me really happy. OR it could be from the bronzing blush I am wearing. ha!!
Love you all!
Karen and John Michael
PS- I need to get back to chasing and lifting all the kids all day. I am losing muscle and gaining...shhhh the bad stuff.
Wednesday, May 2, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



11 comments:
Great news. We'll pray for your paperwork to come back today. Hang in there!
Karen, we can read your "glow" and excitement in your writing. Isn't it wonderful to be a mom? It's warm for the tummy and the heart! John Michael, thank you for the videos and the emails. Just think of all the "first" this little guy has in store, train ride, plane ride and meeting all these americans waiting for him to arrive. God has been good as he will continue to be. We will continue to pray that the paperwork will be finished quickly. Your 4-6 weeks is almost up!
Can't wait for Lance to visit us in Buckholts and to see Pa's garden, its growing by leaps and bounds, with all this rain!
Come home soon! We love you much!
Hugs and Kisses!
Nana and Pa
Karen & JM,
Im so happy to hear how well things are going for you and that you may receive your papers really soon! It is always good to hear of Lance's progress, very exciting! Love & miss you! Angie
So neat to see the video of Lance. I know we'll have to be careful not to overwhelm him when he gets home, but we're all dying to see the little guy!..and you guys too of course...
I'm so proud of his obvious progress, and so proud of you. God will continue to bless you in your obedience, I'm sure.
Love and hugs, Aunt Judy E
Hey guys, he's already signing "more", that is so wonderful! He's so cute, and I love the video! Sounds like he's doing really well in the speech department, especially with all those sounds! I love that!
Miss Karen, Addison has been telling me how much she misses you! She managed to go through 4 diapers, a shirt, and her shorts by noon the other day. Between her mom, Miss Kati, and myself, she kept us on our toes! She ended up leaving in nothing but a diaper! It was too cute!
I know everyone misses you, hurry home so we can meet Lance!!
y Karen and John Michael,
The laughing, the giggling, how much fun! We pray that your paperwork comes through early and things continue to go smoothly. It sounds like you will have a lot of help in the physical therapy & speech therapy department when you get home! Not that he isn't already a sponge! The rest of us can't wait to provide the family, friends and hugs that will make up the rest of his life. Plus being the only boy so far on our side he is bound to get special treatment!!!
Love, Suz
Hey guys,
Just back from jolly ol London and catching up on the blog's news. Looks and sounds like everything is going well with Lance! I know you have already heard it a million times, but I am so happy for you guys. It looks like you have already learned that the sight of your little one smiling makes everything okay, no matter how your day is going.
It's going to be a full house at the in-laws at Christmas this year. Can't wait to see you...take care and God bless.
Uncle Larry
P.S. If you haven't heard, I looked Chris's flight up...he got first class from Frankfurt to Dallas (sweet!) and got on (coach) from Dallas to Charlotte!
I love watching and reading about Lance's constant growth. He is such a lucky guy to have you two as parents. You know how to give him the exposure he needs to flourish. It seems he is a determined boy!
Wishing you luck with the paperwork and sending prayers and love :) Amanda
Hey Guys!
My mother ran into "Mickey J's" mom today and I heard about your good news. I'm excited for you. We live in Sugar Land, TX, now and would love to hear from you. Send me an email to prettypails@hotmail.com when you get a chance - it looks like you are pretty busy right now! Congrats and I wish you a safe and speedy trip home.
Amanda
The food issues are hard, but they will pass. It is a big day in a Ukie kid's life when they leave food on the plate or can watch someone else eat without having a melt down. You may have to eat in the pantry sometimes : ) but he will get there.
The boys weren't too fond of the sun either. They would get so upset in the car sometimes.
I wouldn't stress too much about any of his behaviors right now. Get him home and in a routine and they will start to fall away.
Amanda III
Hey guys! Sorry I haven't written in a couple days-Tues, Wed, Thurs 's are my LONG days! :) Sounds like Lance is doing SO much more than was expected this soon. That is such a blessing. Regarding the food and sun issues-sounds like you guys are handling them well. I am looking forward to having you guys home soon! We love you,
Judy
Post a Comment